I think I'm an Oompah-Loompa! (Short little people who constantly crave cocoa beans). This is the only possible explanation for my sudden and intense craving for chocolate. Thoughts of hot chocolate, chocolate brownies, choc chip cookies (this one is Max's fault!) occupy my mind the whole day.
Determined to satisfy the craving once and for all, i decided to try out a recipe for a Chocolate Hazelnut Self Saucing Pudding.
Hot, gooey and chocolatey! Just purr-fect!
Hazelnut Chocolate Self Saucing Pudding
(Serves 6-8. Recipe can be doubled)
1/2 cup of milk
40g dark chocolate / Lindt milk chocolate
1/3 cup cocoa
1/2 cup self raising flour
1/4 cup hazelnut meal*
1/3 cup castor sugar
2/3 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup water
40g butter, chopped (extra)
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius.
2. Stir milk, chocolate, butter and half of the cocoa in a small saucepan over low heat until smooth.
3. Combine flour, hazelnut meal, castor sugar and half of the brown sugar in a medium bowl.
4. Add the chocolate mixture and egg. Stir until combined. Divide mixture among prepared dishes. (I used 6, 9cm ramekins).
5. Stir the water, extra butter, remaining brown sugar and remaining cocoa in a small saucepan over low heat until smooth.
6. Pour hot mixture gently and evenly over pudding.
7. Bake pudding uncovered for about 25mins. Leave to stand for 5 mins, top with ice cream and then chocolate hazelnut sauce.
* To make your own hazelnut meal, simply roast hazelnuts in a pan over low heat and then grind.
Chocolate Hazelnut Sauce
1/2 cup cream
2 Tbl brown sugar
50g dark or milk chocolate, finely chopped
1/3 cup Nutella
1. Combine cream and sugar in a small saucepan, bring to a boil, removed from heat.
2. Add chocolate, stir until smooth.
3. Add in Nutella.
Instead of Nutella, I bought a Chocolate Hazelnut paste which is sold at Checkers. It tastes just as good as Nutella but costs a lot less!
Any left over hazelnut sauce makes a great topping for ice cream.